Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Neon Glow


Left to Right: Spoiled Nail Color in I Only East Salads, Jail Bait, Plastic Flamingo, Did I Dye It Too Blonde? 

I am always skeptical of trends, and this season's neon is no exception. I am shocked that so many people have bought into it! Although admittedly fun, highlighter yellow/pink/green/anything can be incredibly unflattering, and I know I'm not the only one who looks washed out in such an unforgiving color palette. If we must partake, I recommend indulging in something small and away from the face, like a belt, shoe, or bag. (Accessories are also easier to swap out from season to season so you aren't investing too much into a fleeting trend.)

Another super easy and affordable way to try neon is through nail polish. Yellow and green look best against tan or darker skin tones, while pink and orange are warm enough to flatter a wider range. I usually stick to Essie polishes for the high quality, but I did some math recently and realized that, at $8 a bottle, I've already spent a small fortune just on paint for my nails. On a whim (and a budget), I picked up a $1.99 wonder from CVS. I tried a turquiose color by Spoiled, and without a topcoat, my pedicure lasted for 3 chip-free weeks. SOLD. I purchased a neon pink called Plastic Flamingo last weekend for my toes, and I am so pleased with the results, that I am considering a manicure in the same shade. Cheap and durable? Now that's a glowing endorsement.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...